Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shakespeare

If there were reasons for these miseries,

Then into limits could I bind my woes;

When heaven doth weep, doth not the earth o'erflow?

If the winds rage, doth not the sea wax mad,

Threat'ning the welkin with his big-swoll'n face?

And wilt thou have a reason for this coil?

I am the sea. Hark how her sighs doth blow!

She is the weeping welkin, I the earth;

Then must my sea be moved with her sighs;

Then must my earth with her continual tears

Become a deluge, overflowed and drowned;

For why my bowels cannot hide her woes,

But like a drunkard must I vomit them.

Then give me leave, for losers will have leave

To ease their stomachs with their bitter tongues.

(Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus 3.1, 218-232)


---------

I just finished reading this play, and am entirely in love with this stanza. I could read it over and over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment